We aren't without our fights. Why so complicated? Let's take one big important stab at it. We'd like to suggest that we give relationships too much power by having unrealistic and unnecessary expectations. Here are some expectations that we have seen break down friendships:
- Expecting a girlfriend to be exclusive with you
- Expecting a girlfriend to be available night and day
- Expecting a girlfriend to always agree with you
- Expecting her to say what you want her to say
- Expecting her to do what you want to do
- Expecting you will never hurt each other
The Bible also says that "a friend loves at all times" (Proverbs 17:17niv)...even when a friend hurts you, when she disagrees, when she doesn't say what you want her to say. You can build healthy expectations by committing to this: love your friend no matter what.
Do you have any relationships where you expect too much? Which ones? How can you live in a place where you don't become overly dependent on a friend's favor?