Not every book is for every reader, which explains why the average book only sells one thousand copies. What does the Bible offer that causes billions of people to read it? Here is a short list of what you might be able to do when you read it:
- Meet God: If ever you would want to know what the God of the universe thinks, what he wants from you, why he created you, what he plans to do...this is a book written just for you.
- Be Taught: Most books offer the opinions of the author or other experts. The Bible is an instruction manual, not an op-ed piece.
- Take Warning: There is a right, and then there is wrong. The Bible shines a light on the differences between the two and enables you to walk on a path that is safe.
- Fix It: Your life is full of error. So is mine. But it's nothing that can't be corrected. The Bible is the definitive volume on making such adjustment so we no longer miss the target.
- Follow: "There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends death" (Proverbs 14:12). The Bible illuminates the only path that will lead, in the end, to life.
- Get Ready: You don't know at what moment God will call you, either to work with him here on earth or to your eternal home. The Bible is a gymnasium for your soul, preparing you to be mature and training you (like an athlete) in righteousness.
- Meet You: Who am I? This may be the underlying philosophical question of the ages. Well, the moment you find out who he is, you find out who you are.
Get in the habit of reading your Bible every day. What is your plan to develop this habit?