Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Can We Have a Christmas and Easter Love?

I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angles nor demons, neither our dears for today nor our worries about tomorrow...not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below...indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)



It's hard to maintain a relationship long distance.

Sometimes we try to have a love relationship like that with God. We make time for him once twice a year. Easter and Christmas. Those are the two Sundays the majority of Americans will choose to pay God the tribute of a home visit. But it's not really about church attendance or observing Lent or going to a midnight service on Christmas Eve. The question is whether or not I am going to reciprocate the relationship he wants to have with me. He wants to be, in the best possible way, all up in my business. He wants my heart...to own it. He wants to be the first and last thought of the day, my baseline for health, and my one and only first love. This isn't going to fly if I want to be with him only two times a year. 

I am thrilled some people make it to church a couple of times a year. I want them to taste and see the Lord is good (Psalm 34:8). Attendance measures, like a thermometer, what is already cooking in the heart. 

Action Step
On a scale of one to ten, where is your passion for Jesus? He's checking in with a ten for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment